Friday, March 15, 2013

TOURNAMENT RECAP


Baseball is a deceiving game.  When you watch baseball it pretty much looks like a bunch of guys standing around with a little action happening occasionally.  No big deal.  Mainly a game of strategy.  But when you are playing baseball it is a different deal entirely.  It is a workout.  The morning after our double header I could barely move.  Because I was unable to do my normal off season training this was not entirely unexpected.  But man my body didn't want to respond.


We played three games: lost two and tied one (due to tournament time limits yes you can tie).  We didn't make the playoffs (which was not a surprise with that record).  I batted .500 collecting four hits in eight at bats with one base on balls.  Nine total plate appearances.  Playing with a huge knee brace was a challenge.  Restricted range and mobility took some getting used to.  I didn't move as well as normal on the bases or in the outfield.  But, I did play and after a few days of recovery time am no worse for the wear.  Tomorrow my MRI radiologist write up and CD goes to the orthopedic guys so we will probably know in a few days what my options are and what they recommend.


Playing hurt is a different deal.  It takes some of the fun out of it when you can't make plays you are accustomed to making.  If I can't get this knee fixed, as bad as I hate to say it, I am probably going to phase baseball out of my routine.  I've always said that I am not going to be that guy hanging on when he should hang it up.  I respect the game and my teammates too much for that.  If I can help the team win, OK, but if I am the guy that makes people groan when it is their turn to bat or when the ball is hit their way, no, not gonna be that guy.


I enjoyed meeting a bunch of new guys who played on our team in the Las Vegas tournament.  A shout out to my new friends from Chicago.  If I walk away, meeting new guys is one of the things I will miss most.


So here is a TIP FROM A MAN... know when it is time to move on.  There are many activities out there that we haven't tried.  We have to listen to our bodies and make adjustments.  If I can't run, then I will ride my bike and swim more.  It's OK to move on to new things and perhaps you and I will find new activities that we really like doing that we hadn't made time for in the past.

Enjoy life.


No comments:

Post a Comment