Saturday, September 8, 2012

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Time for my first annual report...

On August 30, 2011 I decided to make some changes.  I decided that I needed to make some better choices.  To be a little more disciplined.  So with the support of my family I began to make a consistent effort to eat more complex carbohydrates, lean proteins, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.  To eat foods in mostly their natural state.  I cut way back on simple carbohydrates and simple sugars.  I also ate meals and snacks at regular intervals and used some reasonable portion control.  Pretty simple stuff.  Not rocket science.  I have never been hungry.  I have never felt deprived.  I also began more consistent workouts and better sleep habits.  Little changes.  Simple choices followed consistently for a sustained period of time.  Lifestyle - not a diet.

So on August 30, 2011 I weighed 171 pounds.  On August 30, 2012 I weighed 157.4 pounds.  I've maintained this weight for 9 months now.  Am I satisfied?  No.  Pleased?  Yes.  I still have a ways to go.  I would like to gain 5 pounds of muscle and continue to tighten my waistline and abs.  Athletically I've felt like I'm in great shape.  I hit the golf ball a little farther and for baseball I am definitely hitting the ball with more pop.  I'm also running well in the field and on the bases.  My quads and hamstrings feel good.  I've had no pain or tightness in my legs.  Trust me, playing three hours of baseball in the hot sun can take a toll when you are on your feet standing, jogging, running and sprinting the whole time.  Same with walking 18 holes of golf over a four hour round.

Let's check in on my brothers who started this ride with me.  My brother who said he started at 215 pounds (but was actually more like 220) is now at 185.  He has stabilized there for several months but now wants to make a little push and get to 175.  At first he thought 180 - 185 would be optimal, but after allowing his body some time to adjust, he thinks that number now to be 175.  He loves the routine of swimming and is a regular at his local aquatic center.  My other brother who dropped 10 pounds from 205 to 195 is still there and loves it.  He works out in the gym five mornings a week and he and I play golf (walk not ride in a cart) and ride horses regularly.  I love that we each have maintained our lower weight.  We've not gained it back. I believe this is because of the change in lifestyle rather than trying some restrictive diet that you quickly get sick of then abandon.  If people would just do this, there would be no need for the $60 billion diet industry. 

There you have it.  What did you accomplish this past year?  Here is a TIP FROM A MAN... set some specific goals and benchmarks and start making some simple changes/choices that you follow consistently for a sustained period of time.  You are worth it!

Enjoy life!

P.S.  My complete eating guidelines can be found in the very first post on this blog.


1 comment:

  1. Great job guys! I am working in the opposite direction but I have been able to make steady improvements and progress through much of the same methodology. I started my new career at 160lbs and, I thought, decent shape. After attending the Academy I knew I needed to be more consistent in my workouts and trim up my diet to get the results I really wanted.
    Now I am 185lbs and have lost 2 inches on my waist, gained 12 inches on my chest, 3 inches on my arms, 4 inches on my legs. All my major lifts have increased by 30-50%. I love to feel healthy and full of energy. Being healthy is great! I look forward to more great updates.

    Blake

    ReplyDelete