Tuesday, October 1, 2013

ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP

Brew Crew 2013 League Champions


Well we did it again.  The Brew Crew riding high on a twelve game winning streak, swept our way through the playoffs winning the final game 8 - 2 to capture the championship of the 18+ division of the Utah Adult Baseball League.  This one was not easy.  At the beginning of the season we had to send texts late into the night just to be sure that we would have the required nine players for the game.  We had a couple of key guys pull out because of work/school/family conflicts.  Understandable.  However, by the middle of the season our core group was secure and we found top notch talent as fill in players when needed.  And here we go - another CHAMPIONSHIP!

I wasn't sure that this season was actually going to happen for me.  I was so happy when my knee came around and I was able to again do what I've done for so many seasons.  Remember, there is no way I am going to hold any team back.  So here in this photo are my guys.  All great men.  Hunter, Goose, Kyle, Craig, CJ, Adam, CJ and Neil (yes we had two CJ's).  Missing from the photo are great guys who are also great players such as Brian, Brock, Chris, Jace, Brett, Jacob, Seth, Aaron and Craig.  So many guys play a role in winning a championship.


We were able to arrange for the championship game to be played at the Utah Valley University Ball Park used by the Division I Wolverines and shared by the Orem Owlz, a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  It gave the final game a sense of importance.  It gave the family and friends who came to watch a great venue on an amazing sun drenched fall day.  


So what's next?  I am headed to Phoenix at the end of the month to play in a tournament.  This year I am playing in the 35+ wood bat division.  Should be very competitive baseball and a lot of fun.  A great way to end a season that began in Las Vegas way back in March.  Then, back to the gym to prepare for next season.  If I can avoid the injuries I should be able to keep going strong.

Here is a restated TIP FROM A MAN... what is your baseball?  What keeps you young?  What keeps you focused?  What challenges you?  What are you passionate about?  Whatever it is, keep doing it, or find it and do it.  Baseball is what keeps me working out and watching what I eat.  How can you lift weights all winter without a goal?  These young guys show no mercy on the ball field.  The pitchers come in with the heat high tight then come right back with a nasty curve or slide piece.  You've got to run the bases and field your position.  Here are your choices, hold your own or find another sand box to play in.  Well, I'm not quite ready to go look for another sand box.  Hopefully you aren't either.  

Oh, and rest assured, the Brew Crew will be back next season, hungry for another championship.

Enjoy life!


No comments:

Post a Comment