Monday, April 30, 2012

HOBBIES

Set of custom fitted golf clubs

Hobbies are great.  We all need worthwhile diversions.  The question is, do we choose our hobbies or do we just kinda fall into them by accident?  How do we figure out what we might be good at and might enjoy doing?  My definition of a hobby is something that might require significant time and dedication to be good at.  For example, I have a friend whose wife is an expert at making quilts.  She has devoted the time required to master the techniques that set her quilts apart.  Her quilts are award winning masterpieces.  Quilting gives her tremendous satisfaction.

Let me tell you about my hobby which is making custom fit golf clubs.  I got into this several years ago when my oldest son was 8 years old and first indicated an interest in learning to play golf.  Naturally I headed to the store to buy some equipment, but found little to choose from and what was there was way expensive.  I know that it was important to have equipment that was correctly sized so I checked into making clubs myself.  I ordered a couple of books, researched out manufacturers and suppliers and since I like to work with my hands, decided to order so components and see what I could do.  My son loved his clubs so I decided to make a set of irons for myself.  When I took them out to play a friend asked me where I got them.  When I told him I made them myself, he asked me if I would make him a set.  The rest is history.  I make a lot of clubs for women, children and for golfers who need extra length, or weight, or whatever.  I have made clubs for everyone of my children and my wife.  Often I will be on the tee box and notice that I made every driver in the foursome.  It is fun to help people have better equipment at a price that is affordable.  I don't make clubs to make money, I do it for the satisfaction.

So, here is a TIP FROM A MAN... involve yourself with a hobby that brings you satisfaction and also helps others.  Be sure that your hobby isn't a distraction that keeps you from your important responsibilities with your family or work.  Remember to maintain harmony and balance in you life.  My children have spent many hours helping me make clubs.  We have used this time to have excellent father/son father/daughter chats.  I  remember a time I made a set of irons for a guy and a few days later he called me on the phone all stoked because he won the first tournament he played using them.  How cool is that.  I felt like my work helped him a little bit.  Enjoy your hobby and...

Enjoy life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment