Saturday, March 31, 2012

SWIMMING



I warned you that living well is contagious and each good choice would likely lead to another good choice.  My brother who has lost 33 pounds (since August 30, 2011) has pretty much always hated to workout.  He finds walking to be boring.  Running always led to pain in some part of his body.  We talked about this and his need to protect his body by improving his muscle tone.  We discovered that he needed to find an activity that he liked to do that would achieve the physical results he was seeking.  After a short discussion he remembered how much he enjoyed swimming and how good he was at it in his youth.  He told many stories of the swimming classes he took in college and of his past swimming accomplishments.  Fortunately for him, a new aquatic center had just opened up near his home and was able to buy an unlimited annual pass for $60.  In the past month he has increased his stamina to where he is now swimming 10 full laps (freestyle stroke) in the pool without stopping.  He reports that he can already see improvement in his muscle tone... and he loves to go to the pool!  He looks forward to going everyday.  Here is a TIP FROM A MAN... find something you like to do, that is convenient to do and that fits within your schedule that will produce the results you are seeking.  I'm sorry, but if you hate it, you will probably not stick with it.  As we age, we lose muscle tone.  You must protect your ligaments, joints and bones with muscle.  It is battle that you can win.  But not by sitting on the couch.

Enjoy life!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Steve!! Proud of you!-

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad helped coach me at my YMCA pool when I was training for a triathlon. Not only was his swimming knowledge incredibly helpful, but I was amazed at his own swimming abilities after such a long absence. I can only imagine how great he will be with consistent practice. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been swimming each morning this week--at least 500 brisk yards in about 15 minutes. I feel better all day! Today I was getting a physical and my doctor suggested I might want to vary my strokes--some back stroke, some freestyle, some breast stroke, etc. to exercise different muscle groups. I've been swimming all freestyle, but I'll be a good back stroke will help give flexibility to my old aching shoulders. Here's a website for the aspiring swimmers out there:

    http://www.swimsmooth.com/

    ReplyDelete